A first-time-ever collaboration of local non-profits was chosen to receive $355,843 from the USDA through the Local Food Promotion Program of the Agricultural Marketing Service. The funds will support the launch of the “Durango Regional Food Recovery Hub” (HUB) and pay to hire a coordinator for the HUB.
The Hub Coordinator is a full-time salaried position with benefits based in Durango, Colorado and tasked with implementing the 3-year USDA Local Food Promotion Program grant. While the main point of contact will be Local First, the coordinator reports monthly to a steering committee comprised of Colorado State University- Extension Office, Bear Smart Durango, The Garden Project of SW Colorado, the Environmental Center at Fort Lewis College, and Healthy Community Food Systems. The American Independent Business Alliance (AMIBA) based in Bozeman, Montana is the fiscal sponsor for the grant.
Do you love La Plata? Do you want to make it even better? Get involved!
Perks of Volunteering:
- Get to know your neighbors
Attend fun events for free
Learn new skills
Do good for the community you live in!
Free individual membership when you volunteer 20 hours or more!
- The Inside Scoop: Get the word out by helping with our newsletter, writing for our blog, or posting on social media.
- Party with Us: Attend events with us such as the Farmers Market, the Harvest Dinner, or Noel Night.
- Foodies: Support our local farmers, chefs, and grocers through our local food program and Eat Local Celebration.
- Creative Cats: Work with our artistic team on murals, web design, and advertisements.
- Local is the Way: Help with planning and organizing Localist events, meetups, and facebook pages.
Intern With Us!
Are you a high school or college student looking for opportunities to boost your resume, make connections in the community, and work on things you are passionate about? Apply to be an intern!
Internship Roles and Responsibilities
1 semester commitment (minimum)
Can be for school credit or for personal experience
5-20 hours per week, determined by intern and staff
Help with general office administration
Design personal project to complete within the semester (possible projects include: website design, social media plan, event coordinator, business development, etc.)
Interested? Please email email@example.com with your resume and cover letter on why you would like to work with Local First!